Ditch Toxic Dryer Sheets for Wool Dryer Balls
Wool dryer balls are a great alternative to the traditional dryer sheets that most people use. We haven’t used dyer sheets in our house for years due to allergies and eczema. I once bought some spiky plastic dyer balls, and I’ve never noticed enough difference to continue using them. I was excited to get these organic wool dryer balls and to try them out in our laundry.
- Fabric dryer sheets contain dangerous chemicals that can cause you health problems such as
- Neurological disorders
- You won’t know what chemicals and how dangerous they are because they aren’t listed on the label. Some of these ingredients are listed on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list
- When you wash your laundry the toxic chemicals stick to your clothes. Then when you wear your clothes the toxins are absorbed into your skin or inhaled.
Wool Dryer Balls
- Eco Friendly – you only need to invest once, no need to continue buying and throwing them away like dryer sheets.
- Organic and chemical free – no hazards to your health here.
Do They Work
Did these wool balls make my laundry softer? Yes, a little bit. I didn’t notice any significant difference however I’m used to not using any kind of fabric softener due to our family allergies. Did they speed up drying time? I can’t honestly answer this question because I never actually paid attention to the time it takes for the dryer to finish. Our current dryer is always done before the washer, so we are usually waiting on the washer to finish rather than the dryer.
I definitely recommend you switch to wool dryer balls if you are currently using fabric dryer sheets or even if you use the liquid softener. Its an easy win to start reducing your families toxic load. If your on a tight budget you could give this homemade version a try.